Join Explore Fairbanks’ dynamic team of professionals who contribute to the economic well-being of the Fairbanks area by marketing to potential visitors. We currently seek candidates for the following year-round, full-time exempt position: Director of Tourism and Convention Sales.
Position Summary: To market and sell Fairbanks as a destination to international and domestic tour operators, travel agents, airlines, and other travel professionals; and to market and sell the destination as a convention, meetings, sports, and incentive site to state, regional, national, and international markets.
- In conjunction with the President and CEO, develop and implement annual departmental marketing plans and performance metrics.
- In conjunction with the President and CEO, develop and implement annual department budgets to achieve marketing plan programs, and responsible for achieving the goals and objectives of the plans.
- Ensures that Explore Fairbanks’ branding guidelines are incorporated into marketing messages and promotional materials.
- Provide direct supervision of the Tourism Senior Sales Manager and Tourism and Conventions Sales Associate.
- Work with departmental committees to plan, develop and evaluate department marketing strategic plans both current and long range.
- Represent and promote Explore Fairbanks, its partners, and the Fairbanks community; serve, as need be, on local committees/boards that would benefit the visitor industry.
- Perform other department or Explore Fairbanks’ projects as assigned.
- Provide monthly written department reports and statistics to the President and CEO.
- Serve as Explore Fairbanks’ direct contact with contracted German marketing representative and the China contractor in conjunction with the Communications Department.
- Conduct sales calls, presentations, site inspections, and familiarization tours; attend travel trade and consumer travel shows, either in-person or virtually.
- Maintains and analyzes statistical data in the transportation sector.
- Maintain a well-informed, working knowledge of the accommodations, activities, attractions, and services available for visitors to Fairbanks.
- Work with Communications Department in international and travel trade ad placements as well as collateral, department websites, and public relations projects/programs related to tourism and convention marketing.
- In conjunction with the President and CEO, work with the Fairbanks International Airport and its consultant to bring in new charter/scheduled air service into the region as well as maintain relationships with existing carriers.
Meetings and Conventions Duties/Responsibilities:
- Serves as Explore Fairbanks’ direct contact with meetings and conventions contractor(s).
- Gathers appropriate information on target markets, especially in-state markets and those particularly suited to northern latitudes, to qualify leads and plan an effective sales approach.
- Initiates new accounts and handles or assigns priority accounts.
- Conducts sales calls and other promotions to personally contact qualified clients, highlighting area hotels, facilities, and community aspects of interest to the visiting delegate.
- Generate leads and send sales leads to hotels, facilities and services; prepare customized bid proposals and conducts bid presentations.
- Maintains a well-informed working knowledge of all hotels, facilities, and services specific to the meetings industry in the area, both public and private.
- Maintains an awareness of competitors’ products and promotions and industry issues that influence sales by establishing rapport with other DMMO representatives, reviewing convention trade publications, etc.
- Maintains statistical data pertaining to the status of leads issued, booked or lost and their economic impact on the community.
- As assigned by the President and CEO, coordinate community-wide events.
- Works closely with the Director of Visitor Services and Partnership Development to develop a cadre of Golden Heart Greeters with a specialty in meetings.
- College degree or minimum of five-years work experience necessary to accomplish the job duties/responsibilities.
- Must have good interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
- Good sales, marketing and customer service skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Extensive knowledge of PCs, including word processing, presentation, spreadsheet and database software.
- Ability to develop and write effective reports and business correspondence.
- Must have general knowledge of the visitor industry.
- Supervisory and management skill as well as being a team player.
- Must be available for in-state, domestic, and international travel as well as some evenings and weekends.
- Professional dress required.
- Must possess a valid Alaska Driver’s license and possess and show proof of car insurance
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be able to lift and transport items weighing up to 50 pounds.
Submission Instructions: All correspondence – cover letter, resume and salary requirements – should be sent by 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, May 23, 2021 to: Explore Fairbanks, Director of Finance and Administration, 101 Dunkel St, Ste 111, Fairbanks AK 99701-4806 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Explore Fairbanks is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Job Location: Fairbanks
Close Date: Applications must be submitted by 5:00 pm on Sunday, May 23, 2021.
Complete Job Description: Click Here